Knowledge is Power, Let's Share It!
April is National Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM). During the month of April we join with the national effort to educate and engage the community in addressing the prevalence and impact of sexual assault.
Why does awareness matter?
As awareness increases, the stigma of sexual abuse recedes. As the stigma decreases, adult survivors become empowered to speak their truth. As there is more cultural awareness and understanding, the pathway to healing widens for adults who have been shamed into silence because of actions that were far beyond their control.
To learn more about why awareness matters, read our blog.
WhAT You Can do to Raise awareness
- Wear a teal ribbon.
- Put a teal streak in your hair or paint your nails teal.
- Share our Facebook posts.
- Change your profile picture to an awareness image.
- Put a poster up in your office and around your community.
- Join Denim Day on April 29th to make an international statement.
When people ask why you're wearing teal, share:
- 1 in 4 girls and 1 in 6 boys are sexually abused before the age of 18.
- Survivors deserve our support.
- Talking about childhood sexual abuse as a culture helps keep kids safe and supports adult survivors!